Tuesday, December 21, 2021

1989 Christmas letter to Grandma ~ December 21, 1989


David Heiller

Sunday, Dec. 17, 1989
Dear Grandma:
We had our Christmas program at Sunday School today. I thought you might like to hear about it. You would have enjoyed it.
Miss Malika and her Christmas dress.
First the good news. Mollie and Noah said their parts without a hitch. Noah said, “Grant us now a glad new year” just as plain as could be. Mollie said: “But a lowly manger was his place to sleep.” The bow on her belt even stayed tied, and she only waved to me once.
The other kids were something too. Like Matt Peterson when he said, “He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquities.” Matt said that last word correctly. He did NOT say “inquinities”. Matt was worried about that. When he practiced it around the Peterson home, he would say “inquinities.” Matt is the kind of kid who could come up with a pretty funny definition for “inquinities.” But not in front of a full church.
His big sister, Connie, had the toughest part of the pageant. She stood in front, jammed her left hand into an imaginary pocket, looked at her feet, then straightened up, and said her bit, four long sentences, 81 words, without a stammer. Now that was a REAL Christmas Program part, the kind I remember when I was a kid and you were watching me. Was I ever that good in sixth grade?
I don’t know why I like Christmas programs so much, Grandma. Remember how you used to like to sit in the waiting room of the parking ramp when we went shopping in LaCrosse, just to watch people pass by? Christmas pageants are like that to me. You can watch children pass by. Wearing new sweaters and dresses, or stuffed in double breasted suits and red ties, or blue jeans and AAU tennis shoes. And some of those kids, like Natalie Booker, so tiny she surely couldn’t memorize her part, yet she did, and better than most of the others. Some with changing voices, like Jeremy Kosloski, a 13-year-old bursting out of his clothes. Some suddenly pretty, like Corrine Cronin in her blue dress, growing up before your eyes.
Then there’s the music. Bev Peterson played the piano, and the notes just poured out when she did “Jesus, Name Above All Names.” The kids sang great too. That surprised me, because sometimes forget how well kids can sing, when they want to. Mona Sjoblom, the director of our Christmas pageant this year, asked me to play the guitar on “Away in the Manger,” and I gladly said yes. It was a different version, with a lovely melody that’s just about as good as the original. Even people who grumbled about the new­fangled rendition complimented me afterward.
What a joy it was to sit in front of those 25 kids and listen to them sing. Loud, clear voices, not all on key mind.you, but that was all right. They haven’t learned yet that they don’t all have perfect voices. I wish they never would. No one in the church complained.
One voice rang out over the rest, Joey Gibson’s. You can always pick Joe’s voice out at our Sunday School. Just follow your ears. It cuts through the others, it climbs to the high notes and reaches them. It tinkles like a bell on a Christmas tree, when angels get their wings. It’s a pure voice, a beacon that mixes with the other voices to make those four songs extra special.
Grandma, we pulled off a darn good Christmas program again. Isaac Sjoblom and Jonathan Zuk didn’t fight like they did in prac­tice. Tory Johnson missed a word, but went back to the beginning and said it perfectly. April Williams read half her part, then heaved a sigh and looked up and said perfectly: “God sent His angel Gabriel to tell Mary that she was to be the mother of His Son.”
Noah and Malika with cousin Sarah.
  Christmas, 1989.
Time stood still for an hour, and this crazy, busy holiday season suddenly didn’t seem quite so crazy and busy.
Even Mollie behaved. She didn’t come down to me when I was playing the guitar, like she did in practice, three times. And like I said, she only waved to me once, and the bow on her belt stayed tied. She tied it herself. Guess she’s growing up too.
And after she said her part, she came to me and sat on my lap. We hugged, and then we sang, “What Child is This?” That was pretty close to Heaven in my book.
I guess you know all about that though.
Love, David

No comments:

Post a Comment