Tuesday, December 6, 2022

A Christmas letter to Grandma ~ December 19, 2002


Dear Grandma:
Here it is, Christmas once again. Seems like just a year ago that I wrote a letter to you. Hey, I guess it was a year.
I know I shouldn’t put on my rose colored glasses and remember you and the Christmas of old. But I can’t help it for just a few minutes. How can I forget those chocolate cookies? Cindy still makes them, from a recipe card with your familiar writing. Or the way we sat in church on Christmas Eve and sang Silent Night. You had to caution me to be careful when I lit my candle. I probably rolled my eyes.
Then at some point, as we ripped through our presents, you would tell about getting a big orange when you were a girl in Nebraska, and how good that orange smelled and tasted. I thought it was boring then, but I still remember it now.

I could go on, but that will carry me through for a while. It’s not a bad thing to remember the old days at Christmas time, as long as you don’t dwell there. Α friend of mine, Red Hansen, wrote a poem about his folks about 20 years ago that his daughter, Arla, sent with her Christmas letter. I’d like to share it:

Beautiful Night
by: Red Hansen
How bright the night, how bright the stars, the crunching snow, no sound, no cars. How still the night.
The dog stands quietly, tail a-wagging, wondering why the master was lagging with the path in sight.
Thirty-five years since my dad walked here on a wooded path he held so dear, on just such a night.
My feet led me on where the house used to be, almost, yes almost a house Ι could see, with the windows alight.
Inside would be Mother, the supper cooking. For Dad and I, she would be looking. The Christmas tree bright.
There were candy and cookies and food galore, and family love. Who could need for more? On just such a night. Oh, what a night.
Α nudge on my leg to let me know my dog was impatient. Time to go.
I bet Red’s parents enjoyed seeing him at Christmas as much as he did them. Maybe you have met them Up There.
David and Red making sweet Christmas music.
Red brightened my Christmas this year too. I was going over some songs to play at a St. Lucia church program last Friday, and I found a sheet of paper called “Christmas Songs w/Red.”
There was a song called “Beautiful Is the Heaven’s Blue.” I looked it up in the hymnal but it wasn’t there. That didn’t totally surprise me, because Red has a way of giving songs his own titles based on his Danish translation and the poet in him.
I called him up and asked him how it went. He hummed the whole song. It was familiar and beautiful.
“Does it have a different name?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” he answered. “Hey Hedda does that song have a different name?”
“What song?” I heard Hertha holler back
“Beautiful Is the Heaven’s Blue!” He started humming it to her. Hertha didn’t know either.
I thought it would be an unsolved mystery. But soon the phone rang again, as I had a hunch it would. This time Red had called in the big gun, in this case Arla, who is carrying on her dad’s tradition as human computer of songs and hymns. “Look on page 75 of the hymnal,” she said. “It’s called ‘Bright and Glorious is the sky’.”
There it was, note for note as Red had hummed it, and as I had sung it, perhaps with you by my side back in those rose-colored years when I was eight and it was always snowing.·
It was a great discovery. Finding an old Christmas hymn is like finding a silver dollar. If I hadn’t met Red, if he hadn’t taught so many songs, if I hadn’t seen that old list, if I hadn’t called him, if he hadn’t asked Arla, I would have been a bit poorer this Christmas.
I played it for the ladies at St. Lucia, and they loved it. Then I stopped at the nursing home on the way home and played it for an old friend. She can’t talk anymore, but her smile told that she liked it too.
Music is one of those things that gives life and strength. And it keeps giving. It’s a big part of Christmas, and one that I know you always enjoyed. Maybe you still do. I’ll be thinking of· you as I play them this Christmas season.
Love, David


No comments:

Post a Comment