Friday, December 29, 2023

A 2003 Christmas letter to Grandma ~ December 24, 2003


David Heiller

Dear Grandma:
Another year has gone by already. It seems like I just wrote to you, yet it was last Christmas. Is time flying because so much has changed?
I know you are keeping an eye on us, but I still want to say a few things.
In a way it doesn’t seem like Christmas. No trip to the woods to cut down the tree. Even the woods have changed. Our balsams and spruce from up north have been replaced by good old oak and hickory.
Christmas cheer and Christmas hugs.
No house, no halls that Cindy can deck with her Christmas flair and fervor. She made that old farm house sparkle. I agree with Ben Logan—Santa Claus is a woman, at least in our house.
No Noah. He has to work. This will be our first Christmas without him. It’s hard on us, and probably on him, although he won’t admit that. I remember my first Christmas away from home, in Morocco in 1977, I walked down the road under a full moon in shorts and a T-shirt, surrounded by sand. In a way I felt closer to the first Christmas 2000 years ago. It hadn’t happened that many miles to the east of where I was walking, and maybe on a night like that.
But I was homesick! No familiar faces, no big family get-togethers, no chocolate drop cookies by you, or stories of Christmas in Nebraska, eating a big naval orange.
So the experience was a good one—new insights on Christmas and on me. That’s what growing up is all about. It will probably be the same for Noah.
I guess those new insights are still happening. We’re not in our own home yet, not getting together with our old friends. A new chapter is starting. We are keeping that in mind. And we are enjoying our time living above your favorite daughter—and my favorite mom.
David loved doing things for older folks.
Grandma Schnick and Grandma Heiller
 were his inspiration. He and Malika
preformed together many times with this in mind.
Christmas songs are helping me the most this year. The button box is sitting on the dresser, and it gets played almost every day, mostly old favorites like Jolly Old St. Nicholas, but a new one too that I’ve almost got down, Star of the East. It’s new for me at least, but not to everybody, including Bertha Heiller, who wants to hear it. Malika and I plan to accommodate her wishes.
Jill Hahn at the Argus asked Susie Frank and me the other day what our favorite Christmas songs were. What a hard question! Impossible, really. But it got me to thinking. Susie said Silent Night, and Jill came in with the same. I had to answer Away in the Manger. But there really isn’t one answer to that question.
It made me think about when I was stranded in the mountains back in November of 1973. As I lay in my little tent, surrounded by deep snow, all the Christmas songs of my youth came back. Every time I thought I had sung them all, a new one would pop into my head. They gave me joy and strength. I know they helped me survive.
I don’t have to worry about that anymore, at least not in the physical sense. But they still give my life meaning. Some things will always be with a person.
Like you, Grandma. It’s been 14 years since you left us, but you are still here, and, like a good Christmas carol, still in our hearts.
Merry Christmas.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment