Saturday, August 12, 2023

The last word on turning 40 ~ August 19, 1993


David Heiller

Cindy called the morning of my fortieth birthday from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Her dad had died the night before, which drew her away physically but not in spirit.
Listen to the radio, she told me. I turned it on just in time to hear the Minnesota Public Radio announcers play a song in my honor: “Laughing River,” by Greg Brown.
It was a pleasant coincidence, because a friend had come over the night before to wish me happy birthday, and he had told me about this very song, how much he liked it, how it fit the milestone of getting old. Then the radio played it just for me. It was a good sign for Friday the Thirteenth.

(below is a good link to the song)
Collin "playing" David's accordion.

Then my kids gave me presents, including a button accordion from Cindy. I had eyed that accordion at a Minneapolis music store for 2½ years. Cindy told the store owner how much I wanted it. The guy remembered me fondling it in his store, so he sent it postage-paid. I wished Cindy could have given it to me herself.
On my way to work, I stopped at T&M Athletics. Tom Brabec wished he had a beer on hand to pour over my head. That’s an ancient Bohemian ritual for celebrating fortieth birthdays in Willow River.
Tom and 1,800 other Askov American subscribers had seen the full page ad that someone had put in the paper in my “honor.” Like we used to say at Camp Courage: With friends like that, who needs enemas?
Just kidding, Cindy.
At work I was greeted by Lynn Storrar, our right hand woman, who was dressed in black and wearing a home-made button that said, Woe is me, my boss is four-tee! She gave me a card that said: “I don’t find it necessary to make jokes about your age… Just thinking about it makes me laugh!!!”
Then I ran into a human buzz saw named Arla Budd. Arla lives for people who turn 40. First she planted signs up and down the street in front of the building.

David with Malika, shortly 
after the big birthday.

One set said:
The editor who writes here-in
Has just today grown old.
It’s not just that his hair is thin;
His tales have all been told.
Dave is 40.
The back side read:
In younger years as newsmen go
Dave was a proper snoop.
Reporters that have grown too old
No longer get their scoop…
He’s 40.

Arla must think I use Burma Shave.
On my desk was a card that she had made. The cover measured two feet by three feet, and featured an original sketch of a person in an outhouse. The person, who has my legs, is reading a book called “50 Yards to the Outhouse,” by Will David Makit. That was my gift from Arla. She knows how much I like outhouse literature. The card included an original poem which is reprinted below (without permission).


There once was an old man named David.
Outhouses peculiar he favored.
About them he wrote
With many a quote

Until his gentile readers quavered.

Wife Cindy (their last name was Heiller)
Was sweet, and he sought not to rile ‘er.
He bought a new pot
A hot pot he got
He sought with this pot to beguile ‘er.

This new pot was surely spinorty,
But David was just turning forty.
The old ways die hard
The pot in the yard
Was Dave’s kind of old pot-a-porty.

The story crept back in the paper
About just one more outhouse caper.
Reader’s wrath David braved
Outhouse mem’ries he saved
Before they all went up in vapor.

So this “old man” is 40 years old. But old is a relative term. Now that I’m 40, it doesn’t seem so bad.
Now 50, that’s getting up there. Just ask Arla. 
Editors always get the last word.

No comments:

Post a Comment