Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Rosie wins the battle ~ March 10, 2005

David Heiller


Rosie was onto something, that was obvious. I could hear her growling and yipping in the “West Wing” of the barn on Saturday afternoon. I tuned it out for about an hour, but finally my curiosity got to me. I put down my hammer and went to investigate.
After a bit of searching, I located her burrowing into a stack of hay bales, sniffing, and whining. It wasn’t easy to see her, wedged between the hay and the wall. There isn’t much to see to begin with, Rosie being a miniature dachshund and all. I grabbed her by the collar and pulled her up. She turned her growl in my direction. That’s when I heard a snarl in return, somewhere in the pile of bales.
I can handle snarls from animals I know. But snarling visitors, whoever they may be, are not welcome in the Heiller barn. So I set Rosie back down.
Rosie and the possum
This time she tore into the hay like a tornado. The other critter had had enough of Rosie too, and they met in their hidden arena, their howls and growls mixed together in a frightening din. I was instantly worried. I didn’t want to lose Rosie, and I had no idea what she had unearthed.
Then a streak of gray tore out of the hay and across the floor. I jumped back. A possum! “Go get it Rosie!” I yelled. My killer instincts were kicking in too..
David with Rosie after The Great Possum Battle.
Rosie tried, but she was a couple seconds late in pursuit, and that possum was quick. It disappeared in the clutter of the barn. Rosie circled all around, behind the garbage cans, under the boat, around two different woodpiles. There are a lot of hiding places in a barn. I grabbed a hoe to lend any assistance possible. But the possum was gone.
I returned to my job, then went into the house to get ready for church. I came back out, carrying my camera in the hopes of getting a picture of a deer or turkey on the way to town. But first I had to gather up Rosie and put her in her kennel.
Rosie was again on the scent of the possum. This time she was growling at a pile of foam panels. I started moving the panels, and heard the growl of the possum. Rosie roared into action again, and a rolling ball of black and gray fur emerged at my feet.
It was a horrible and yet fascinating sight. Rosie curls up on the couch with us most nights, but what I was witnessing was a compact killing machine that moved faster than my eye could follow.
I was very glad that I was not a possum.
It was over quite quickly, maybe 10 seconds, although it seemed longer than that. The possum lay motionless, its mouth stretched into a horrible grin of death. Always the newspaper-man, I took a picture of Rosie putting the finishing touches on the battle, and include it as state’s evidence with this column.
I picked up Rosie. She gave me a look that said, “What are you doing?” Yet she didn’t object too loudly. She seemed to be in a state of shock over what had just happened. I guess I was too.
Rosie watching over David during a nap. I am sure she was ready to protect him from any 'possums that might be ready to invade.

I put Rosie in her kennel, then headed out to church. But first I went to pick up the dead possum and put it in the trash. It was gone! It had lived up to its reputation and had played possum. I read later that possums become temporarily paralyzed and fall into a state of coma when they are confronted with danger. Rosie’s instincts probably knew that better than mine.
It wasn’t such a bad ending though. I had to admire that possum. It had fooled me, if not Rosie. That pea-brained possum has probably high-tailed it to Walter Kueblers by now. If it is dumb enough to hang around the Heiller barn; it will face the wrath of Rosie. And you should never bet against a gal named Rosie.

No comments:

Post a Comment