Thursday, March 3, 2022

You wouldn’t call it a sign of spring ~ February 17, 1994


David Heiller

Noah with some tremendous icicles... Ice jams
are one of the banes of northern living.

 You wouldn’t call it a sign of spring,
The water dripping off the roof
Like it did last Saturday.
No, you’d need a lot more proof

Than that. And so I won’t begin
To make more of it than was there.
Just some steady drops of water
Falling through the winter air.

Yet I climbed up on the roof,
Quicker than a playful otter.
I had to look, it’s been so long
Since we’ve seen ice turn into water.

The edges of the roof were caked
With ice about 10 inches thick.
A winter’s overcoat of snow had
Built an ice dam, white and slick.

And yes, as often is the case,
It found a crack above the door
That goes into the entryway
And made a puddle on the floor.

I guess Ι should have patched that spot.
But it was a small price to pay,
To see this winter lose its grip,
A puddle in the entryway.

I found the leaky spot and pushed
Away the snow and shoveled hard
With my son. We smiled and threw
The ice and snow down in the yard.

Then my son reached down his hand
Into the snow, and showed to me
Another little sign of spring.
“Hey, look Dad, it’s a honey bee.”

I almost had forgot about my
Three bee hives, it’s been so long
Since they have ventured out to fly
And dance and sing their winter song,

I could go on with other signs
Of spring but I don’t want to wreck
This sudden spell of balmy weather.
Readers would complain like heck.

So I won’t write about the sap,
Plunking into pails so steady,
From the taps in maple trees.
That’s when I know spring is ready.

And I won’t mention peeping frogs,
Hooting owls and cawing crows,
Muddy roads and baseball games,
And don’t forget marsh marigolds!

These are all at least a month
Or more away, I’d guess.
I don’t want to cause our
Mother Nature over-anxiousness.

No it’s not a sign of spring,
The dripping water I did see
From the roof last Saturday.
But it’s close enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment