Tuesday, January 2, 2024

The missing links of Christmas ~ December 30, 1993


David Heiller

Something was missing that I couldn’t put my finger on. Α good Christmas had just passed, but something was missing.
Illness and cold weather sure weren’t absent. My brother-in-law had missed three days of work before driving seven hours to our house. He arrived sick and exhausted, and had no appetite.
His daughter ran a 103 degree fever on Saturday afternoon and had to go to the emergency room. Then Cindy got sick to her stomach that night. You know what that means.
Mother Nature topped this off with 28 degrees below zero a few hours later. We felt like prisoners in a holiday hospital.
Our typical Christmas involves a lot of this,
not so for the Christmas of 1993.
Yes, there had been presents and church and games of 500 and good feelings all around. But something was missing, and I didn’t find it until Sunday afternoon.
That’s when my sister-in-law Therese and I went skiing. The temperature rose to nine below zero, the warmest it would get. So we took off down the snowmobile trail toward Birch Creek on our cross country skis.
Oh, it was cold at first. We skied downhill, which created a wind-chill, and every exposed bit of flesh froze. Eyelashes coated with ice. Beards turned white—mine did, that is. Therese just had a frozen face.
Therese said she didn’t know how long she could make it. Her shoes were too small, and she had on her city gloves. I skied on ahead of her. I knew she would soon forget about the cold, and she did, and so did Ι.
Therese caught up to me at the Methodist cemetery. We skied together and talked as best we could. Our lips couldn’t move like normal, yet it was pleasant. I think we both needed to be out of the sick house. We needed to feel the fresh air, and burn a few Chrίstmas cookies off our waist line.
After we turned around, Therese pulled ahead of me. I tried to keep up, and I couldn’t. She had me beat by 50 yards by the time we reached the car. That was all right.
I wheezed and coughed all the way home. Therese, who is 11 years younger than me, joked that I should quit smoking. I don’t smoke. But that was all right too.
Because when I stepped out of the car, I felt like skiing another two miles. The cold weather seemed like an invigorating friend, not an icy prison guard. The household didn’t seem so sick inside either.
I lit a sauna. After the stove pipe turned cherry red, Cindy and I went in. I washed her back. We talked about our Christmas. Saunas are good for that. They are a nice way to end a hectic holiday.
It was a hot sauna. I ran outside and rolled in the fresh snow for at least three seconds. That isn’t bad considering the temperature had dropped a few more degrees.
(If you think skiing at nine below is cold, try rolling in the snow in nothing but your birthday suit.)
Looking back, I see now that two things had been missing at Christmas.
One: good health. You can’t take that for granted. This Christmas reminded me of that.
Two: enjoying nature. Sounds like a cliché, but if it is, it’s a darned good one. Going outside, taking a hike, going skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, taking a sauna. These go hand in hand with a Christmas get-together. You don’t realize how important they are until you are either too cold or too sick, or both, to do them.
Rolling in the snow is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment