Sunday, November 26, 2023

The field was wet and muddy ~ November 24, 1994


David Heiller

David loved working with his tractors!
(And he wasn't afraid of getting stuck, either.)
 
The field was wet and muddy
But I trusted to my luck,
And with a load of firewood
I got my tractor stuck.

My darling wife had warned me
Not to take the tractor out
To the woods on Saturday.
“You’ll get it stuck, no doubt,

Like you did the last time.”
Yes, I remembered well,
Hauling in a load of ash.
It made me mad as heck.

But part of making firewood
Involves a little luck
Hoping that you don’t get hurt
Or that you don’t get stuck.

I knew that it was a risky
But that’s what makes it fun
When you take a chance at work
And when that work gets done.

So I hung my muddy pants
On the clothesline outside.
And came in wearing boxers
And a grin of manly pride,

And I told my darling Cindy,
And I took the “Told-you-so’s,”
And hoped by Sunday morning
That the soft would be froze.

We had a low lying field that had to be crossed to
 get to our woods. It made an adventure out of wood
making and sap gathering!

No luck on that end either,
So I called on my friend Steve.
He brought the Sunday paper
And I wouldn’t let him leave,

Until he walked out to the field
And cranked upon a winch.
While I sat on the tractor
And it came out, inch by inch.

There’s nothing worse than the feeling
When you know your tractor’s stuck,
When you see the wheels start spinning
And sink down into the muck.

But then there’s nothing finer
Than the steady, purring sound
Of your ancient, faithful tractor
When she’s back on solid ground.

And it’s a fine, fine feeling
When the house heats up at night
With firewood you brought in
That put up a little fight.

The cheerful flames and fire
Tell a story as you burn it,
Tell how it wasn’t easy work
And how you had to earn it.

So when you hear me cussing
And my pants are black with goo,
Come help pull out my tractor

It’s good for me, and you.



No comments:

Post a Comment