Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Christmas cookies and A Wonderful Life ~ December 11, 1997


David Heiller

One sign of Christmas hit me at work on Monday, December 8. Hazel had brought peppernuts to work for our coffee break. I said, “You know it’s Christmas when Hazel brings peppernuts to work.”
Peppernuts are like miniature gingersnap cookies. They are about the size of a nickel. They must be hard to make, because they are so small. Yet Hazel makes them by the hundreds every Christmas.
I don’t want to go overboard describing Hazel’s peppernuts. Α man could get in trouble doing that.
Besides, Hazel is still mad at me for going overboard about her in last week’s column, when I wrote about what a nice sewing lady she is.
But you haven’t really lived till you’ve tossed a fist full of Hazel’s peppernuts into your mouth and washed them down with a cup of coffee. Wow.
My wife, Cindy, makes a cookie that always reminds me of Christmas too. They are chocolate cookies, chewy and soft, with just the right amount of chocolate.
I still make Grandma Schnick's chocolate cookies 
using her recipe card every Christmas.
She got the recipe from my Grandma Schnick. Cindy still uses the recipe card that Grandma gave her. It must be a good feeling, taking out that old recipe card once a year and seeing Grandma’s friendly handwriting.
Grandma only made chocolate cookies at Christmas, and Cindy has kept with that strict regimen. She subscribes to the rule that absence makes the heart grow fonder and the stomach growl louder.
The chocolate cookies remind me of Grandma and the happy days of youth, and they remind me of the happy days, still ongoing, of my adult life with Cindy and the kids.
YOU KNOW IT’S CHRISTMAS when you watch the movie, “It’s A Wonderful Life.” It’s another thing that can be consumed only at Christmas, at least in our house.
Just as absence makes the heart grow fonder, I believe another saying is equally true: familiarity breeds contempt. You don’t want to overdo a movie like “It’s A Wonderful Life.” It’s too precious.
I think about this movie quite a bit throughout the year. I even have some of the passages memorized.
Like when the mean bartender says, “Listen, Mack, we serve hard liquor to people who want to get drunk fast, and we don’t need any characters to give the joint atmosphere.” Don’t you know a few bars fit that description?
Or these:
When George Sr. says to his son at the supper table: “You were born old, George.” I know some people that seem like they were born old.
When ΖuZu says at the end of the movie: “Teacher says when a bell rings, an angel gets his weeeeennngggs.” That kid is just too cute.
When George realizes he has fallen for his future wife: “I don’t want any plastics and I don’t want any ground floors and I don’t want to ever get married.” This saying is followed by a kiss in which Cindy and I mash our cheeks together with the force of a wood splitter, like in the movie. Maybe that’s how people kissed in 1934. I’ll have to ask Red Hansen.
I usually say these passages for laughs. But there’s one saying that strikes close to a part of all of us. It first comes when George Bailey calls Mr. Potter a “warped, frustrated old man.” It’s true. Potter is a cynical, greedy miser. He’s not working for the betterment of his fellow man, as George is.
But then Potter cruelly turns the phrase back on George when George comes seeking help at the end: “What are you but a warped, frustrated YOUNG man?” Potter asks, and you wonder if there isn’t a bit of truth in it.
George is frustrated. He never left Bedford Falls. He’s stuck. Maybe he never did want to get married and spend his life working at a broken down savings and loan.
Sometimes I think things like that about myself. We all get in ruts. Most people have a time or two when they wonder if the world wouldn’t be better without them.
Most of us can usually pull out of those doldrums and count our blessings, like George is able to do at the end, with the help of his many friends.
Every so often someone can’t. That’s sadder than words can express.
I’m glad it’s Christmas, glad for peppernuts and chocolate cookies and A Wonderful Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment