Monday, November 20, 2023

I had a date on Friday night ~ November 18, 1993


David Heiller

David and Malika
I had a date on Friday night.
It wasn’t with my wife.
It was another woman
Important in my life.

We didn’t try to sneak and hide
We’re honest, her and me.
I took her to the movies
For all the world to see.

I didn’t try to hide her
I don’t think that was wrong
I don’t think we were cheatin’
Like in some country song.

I wore the fancy dress shirt
That she gave to me last year.
She wanted me to wear it,
And I did it just for her.

“Free Willy” was the movie.
We drove some 30 miles.
The folks there looked us over
And tried to hide their smiles.

I bought her pop and licorice,
A box of popcorn, too.
We ate them in the darkness
Like couples often do.

And when the movie started
She curled up next to me.
I put my arm around her
Not caring who would see.

Some kids who sat behind us
Were talking lots, and loud.
I told them to be quiet
Three times, which made me proud.

I figured that my girlfriend
Would think me quite the man.
You see, I tried to win her heart.
I guess that was the plan.

And when the movie ended
We sat till all had gone,
Singing to the music.
We both enjoyed the song.

Then we left the theater.
The rain had turned to ice.
I held her hand to steady her.
Her dainty hand felt nice.

I opened the car door for her.
She smiled and glided in,
Straightened out her skirt just so,
And gave me a big grin.

“It wasn’t a bad date,” she said.
“But we didn’t kiss and stuff.”
“No,” I tried to hide my smile,
But she could see my bluff.

We shared a bag of candy
And headed for my place
And in the darkness of the car
She looked into my face

And told me that she loved me.
I said I loved her too.
Then we rode in silence
Like couples often do.

When we got home she crawled in bed
I kissed her a good night,
Said “See you in the morning,
Don’t let the bed bugs bite,”

Then went into my bedroom.
There waiting was my wife.
She’s an understanding woman.
The true love in my life.

Just like my little daughter
Who spends her life with me,
My special date last Friday night
For all the world to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment