Sunday, January 7, 2024

Testing the dinosaur theories ~ January 7, 1988

David Heiller

Warning: This column contains graphic language about cold weather, bodily functions, and outhouses. Parental discretion is advised.
Those words of caution are issued for my mother, who became so disgusted with my last outhouse column that she couldn’t finish reading it. She stopped just short of flushing it down her indoor model.

Noah and Joe were always busy figuring out the world as they knew it. I am sure that deep discussions on the dinosaur theories were always bubbling with these two.

The outside thermometer read 17-below zero as I headed for the outhouse, in a quick step, Monday morning. That may be balmy for Nickerson folks, but for me, it’s getting cold. Heading for the outhouse, it’s downright arctic.
My grandmother once said they used to put rabbit skins down on the outhouse opening mornings like this. I use a piece of styrofoam made for this very purpose. Its quite comfortable if you don’t mind my saying so, especially with long-johns pulled high.
Remember Mom, I warned you about this column.
So in relative comfort on Monday morning, I had a few minutes to look back on the past weekend.
Yes, cold is relative. Sunday, visiting some friends, we spent several hours in below zero weather, skiing and pulling our kids on sleds. I hooked a long rope onto their red plastic sled, and tied it to a pack on my back. We circled through the yard, over the new septic drain field, down under the clothes line, up around the back of the house, then quickly down the driveway to where we started. The last leg was so slick and easy that I would ask Noah and Joey, “Do you want to go again? Are you cold yet?”

“No,” they would answer. “Let’s go again!”
Our intrepid explorers and dinosaur theorists:
Noah and Joey, 1986.
The cold weather brought out the dinosaur theories according to two four-year-old experts. I’m not kidding, four-year-olds are experts in this the Year of the Dinosaur. They can name their lizards faster than Shari Jensen can sew them.
“Where do grizzly bears live, Daddy?” Noah started as they rested me during my workout.
“Out in the mountains, out West, and in Alaska, “I answered.
“There aren’t any grizzly bears,” Joey contended.
“Yes there are,” Noah replied in a defensive tone. No grizzlies?! Noah worships grizzly bears. They are the meanest animals, he thinks, since Tyrannosaurus Rex took his swan dive into the Pleistocene.
“There aren’t any grizzly bears,” Joey kept on. “Yes there are, aren’t there, Daddy?”
Their workhorse was suddenly an animal expert.
“Yes there are, but they don’t live around here,” I said in deference to Joey. “So Joey’s right, there aren’t any around here. They live out West.”
“And in Alaska,” Joey added, saving face.
“But dinosaurs are dead, Daddy?” Noah keeps asking that question, making the grizzly earn its keep.
“You know how they died, Joey?” Noah continued. They had spent half the night before in bed, discussing their theories, but neither had sold his notion.
“There were big ball-canoes [Ball-Kay-Noes], and they blew out all this smoke, and the dinosaurs breathed in this smoke”—Noah drew in a deep breath— “and then they couldn’t breathe because of the ball-canoes and they died.”
“And it was too cold for them,” Joey added. “Yeah,” Noah quickly agreed. “It was too cold and smoky and they died.”
Noah and Joey were always a duo 
from the time they were tiny.
We made a few more turns around the yard, then headed to a state park, until finally the kids looked like their dinosaur heroes and headed inside.
All this flicked through my mind Monday morning, where I sat in 17-below weather. But my reverie shattered when I suddenly realized that there was no toilet paper in the outhouse. I started to swear at my wife, but stopped short. She doesn’t use the outhouse in the winter. “That darn Binti,” I muttered about our dog. Don’t ask me why she would carry away a roll of toilet paper.
An old Sears-Roebuck catalogue would have looked mighty tempting at that point.



No comments:

Post a Comment